Friday, July 24, 2009

Sooo.....

My ex just called me and tells me he's getting an error message on his pc.

'Error: Your cooling fan is not operating properly and your system has been halted'

 

*sigh*

 

Me: Jimmy, when was the last time you cleaned the computer out?

 

Jimmy: I have to clean it?

 

Me: *rolls eyes* Yes Jimmy, once a month at least, twice a month is even better.

 

Jimmy: Why?

 

Me: Because dust and nicotine and dog hair and whatever else is floating around in the air sticks to the blades and clogs everything up. When was the last time you cleaned it?

 

Jimmy: When you and Allen had it.

 

(NOTE: Allen worked on it over 6 months ago)

 

Me: *facepalm* Oh dear Lord, Jimmy.

 

Jimmy:  So what do I do?

 

Me:You need to disconnect everything pull it out, take the side off and clean out the inside and the cooling fans. Use the vacuum cleaner hose if you don't have a can of air.

 

Jimmy: Can't I just take it over to Dad's and blow it out with the air compressor?

 

Me: *rips hair out*  Sure you can! If you no longer want a working computer :-\

12 comments:

  1. I have not cleaned mine for four years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW...um..just wow...dude that's a fire hazard waiting to happen!! Go to walmart, go to the electronic section and ask where you can get compressed air can for computers, pop open your computer and clean it. GO NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not like my old computer that I could take apart easily. It's an hp that appears to be sealed.It's in almost constant use in Temps ranging from 62 - 73 degrees.What's the fire risk when it's shut down for the night or whenever?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um... my laptop has been running pretty much non stop since May 2004. I shut it down occasionally and I had to have it serviced 3 times by our IT dept at work when I caught viruses and had to wipe the system clean and start over... The first time (after 2 years running) they told me that they found a lot of cat hair in it and had to clean it out... but I'm not ABOUT to disassemble this laptop once a month or even once every 6 months...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have said to just buy a new one and make him spend his loot....oh I'm mean!....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was refering to desktops, and leave the laptops to professionals for the cleaning procedure but you can clean the fan every now and then so it wont block the air flow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is example of why you need to clean every so often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol

    you should've said sure :)

    We had that problem and my brilliant husband opened up the computer and took the hard drive apart ... he was looking for the 'belt' to replace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That broke my brain a little..lol to effin funny.

    ReplyDelete